Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Element That Makes the Home



I have visited quite many homes, as probably most us have. In some homes you really feel like at home, in some not so much. What is it that makes this difference in atmosphere? Some of it can be assigned to the owners and how they greet and welcome you to their home. Then of course there is the factor of cleanliness, orderliness and interior design. Some homes make you awe.

The most impressive homes I have been to are located in Switzerland. One home that made a great impression on me was this 800-square-meter house which was located on the Geneva lake. It had an inside pool that continued outside, its own recording studio, a gym and probably 10 bedrooms. However, the room I personally liked the most was the lounge room where the family often spend time together reading, playing board games and enjoying each other’s company. The element that made the room so attractive was the fireplace which was located in such a way that the whole room and interior design was built around it. The fireplace was built to be the heart and soul of the room and no matter how big the rest of the house was, this was the place where you wanted to spend your time doing miscellaneous things.

About a week ago I went to a house-warming party. It was a 40-square-meter apartment in Helsinki, so a small one bedroom home with a kitchen and a living room. I stepped in and experienced the same kind of warmth and coziness I felt when visiting the 20 times bigger home near Geneva. Alike, all of the guests celebrating the new home were gathered around a fireplace chatting casually and laughing together. Yet, the fireplace was not only the heating element in the room, it was also a part of the interior design.

I truly hope the next home I will be living in will have a fire place so I can have the same kind of warmth and coziness that I have experienced in these two homes. And I am so pleased that I have found so many lovely options on the UunisepƤt website so that I can design my very own fireplace with my touch in design.

No comments:

Post a Comment